Monday, November 26, 2007

My Last Essay

So, its been a crazy busy few months, with school and work and all. like normal. Except that this time, I"m actually gonna be finished. With English. With essay writing. With my BA! YAY me! I thought I had one more semester left, so that adviser meeting was a pleasant surprise.

On the other hand, I now gotta come up with something to do with it. I am totally overqualified for a job taking peoples money at a gas station. But what does one do with a degree in English Literature? especially when one can't edit, doesn't enjoy writing enough to have deadlines of any kind, and mainly specialized in pre 1900 British writers? I mean sure I can quote Shakespeare, roughly demonstrate middle English vowel sounds, and tell you which Romantic poets hung out together, but thats not exactly an employable set of skills.

Enter, another year or so of classes. Its like finishing a marathon, and then having to run home. But if I get my library tech certification, the only even somewhat local library system in the region might actually be willing to cooperate and employ me. I mean, I have applied with everything from a resume (which I actually got an interview with) to a letter from a library manager saying "hire her" (for which effort I did not even get a phone call) and several other times in between.

But if one lives in an area where there is only one hiring opportunity in the public library realm, and one doesn't want to work in a corporate or public school library, thats just the way it goes. Anyway, I am taking a semester or two off from heavy workloads. and then finishing up the Library thing so I can actually USE the BA. fun fun!

But I am still excited to be (almost) done with the writing of papers. YAY!

No comments: